About Your Profile
It contains questions about who you are, where you're from, the things that interest you, your lifestyle, and your background and values. It also asks you about your ideal match. All of this information helps form a great image of who you are and who you're looking for. Not only does this help potential matches understand you better, it also helps us provide you with better matches through our unique matching tools.
Creating Your Profile
To create your profile, just sign in and click on your primary photo thumbnail at the top of any page and start answering the questions.
The profile section is also where you can add a photo to your profile, which can get you up to 15 times more attention. Use the Keep Going and Next Step buttons until you have completed all sections.
You can save portions of the profile and come back to them. Just keep in mind that nothing gets posted until the "Summary" section is complete and approved. When working on written sections, if you're writing for more than 45 minutes, you risk a session time-out, which could result in your data being lost.
Remember, no one likes a boring profile. Have some fun with it, and be creative!
If you want some good ideas for what to include in your personal description, view our Sample Topics to help you decide what to write about.
Editing Your Profile
You can edit your profile whenever you want - click here to edit your profile.
Approving a Profile
When you update your profile text, we’ll review it before it gets posted on the site. This can sometimes take up to 1 hour. We'll let you know via email once your profile has been reviewed and approved.
We review every section of the profile, including the main profile essay, short answers to other profile questions, first name, occupation, etc. Whenever you make an update, the new text is reviewed before it becomes visible to other members.
When you submit an update to your profile text, it will go into “Pending” status. That means it’s waiting for us to review the changes. Your previous profile text will still be posted during this time, unless you don’t have any previously approved text.
If your profile is Hidden, it will become Visible when your updated profile text is approved. This only happens when your profile is Hidden.
If you’re using Private Mode, your profile will not become Visible when an update is approved. If you want to keep your profile Hidden, then you’ll need to adjust your visibility settings again after your profile update is approved.
If your new profile text doesn’t meet our guidelines, then it won’t be approved or displayed on the site. We’ll send you an email to let you know why. If your previous profile text was approved, it will remain posted on your profile in most cases. Sometimes, a profile rejection will cause your profile to become hidden instead.
We may reject profiles that contain any of the following:
- Abusive language of any kind, including profanity, vulgarity, racism, illegal activity, etc.
- Any direct contact information, including email addresses, URLs, instant messenger IDs, phone numbers, addresses, etc.
- Unauthorized use of copyrighted or trademarked material
- Business or political advertisements or solicitations
- References to illegal activities or drug use
- Languages other than English, Spanish, or French
- Material that exploits or solicits personal information from individuals under the age of 18
- Overt solicitation for sex or descriptions of sexual activity, anatomy, etc.
- Solicitation of multiple or additional partners
- Insufficient or illegible content
Match does not accept content from:
- Incarcerated individuals
- Individuals under the age of 18
If you'd like to edit your profile follow the steps below:
- Click on your primary photo thumbnail in the top navigation bar.
- Locate the field on your profile that you want to edit.
- Click on the Pencil icon or on the field name
In some sections, you'll have the option to make the preference a 'Dealbreaker' in the 'What I'm looking for' portion of your profile. Click on 'Done' to save your changes.
If you're editing a field that has to be sent for approval, it might take up to 24 hours before it's approved and posted to the site.
Your profile will automatically become visible after changes are approved. If you don't want your profile to be visible after editing, you'll need to hide it as soon as it's approved. You can hide your profile by accessing your Profile Settings.
Cannot Edit a Profile
If you are having trouble editing your profile, there are a variety of possible explanations:
- Your profile is appearing normally for everyone else, and it will appear normally for you once you clear your cache and cookies
- Your profile is hidden
- You haven't completed your profile
- You tried to complete your profile, but you were typing your profile text for longer than 45 minutes and you experienced a session time-out
- You submitted your profile, but it was not approved
Profile Completion Requirements
You don’t need to complete your profile in order to use Match. As soon as you create an account, you can start searching and making connections with other members right away.
Members with a paid subscription can still send and receive Messages, even if they have a hidden, incomplete, or pending profile. However, some types of free communication, such as sending Likes, require you to have a photo uploaded to your profile.